Thursday 8 September 2011

Honesty in prayer

"Again, He who 'is' in the secret place 'sees' in secret, and honest dealing becomes us when we kneel in His pure presence.
"In our address to God we like to speak of Him as we think we ought to speak, and there are times when our words far outrun our feelings.  But it is best that we should be perfectly frank before Him.  He allows us to say anything we will, so long as we say it to Himself.  'I say to God my Rock,' exclaims the Psalmist, 'Why have you forgotten me?' (Ps 42: 9).  If he had said, 'Lord, you cannot forget;  You have graven my name upon the palms of Your hands', he would have spoken worthily, but less truly.  On one occasion Jeremiah failed to interpret God correctly.  He cried in his anger, 'O LORD, you deceived me, and I was deceived; you overpowered me and prevailed' (Jer 20: 7).  These are terrible words to utter before Him who is changeless truth.  But the prophet spoke as he felt, and the Lord not only pardoned him, He met him and blessed him there."
D.M.McIntyre, The Hidden Life of Prayer, published 1913.  Altered for clarity
Update:  see also here... Great minds obviously thinking alike!

No comments: