Tuesday 2 August 2011

The power of His voice

Reading Psalm 29 today.  Part of David's focus is upon the majestic and  powerfully active 'voice of the Lord' - thundering over the waters, breaking the cedar trees, striking with lightning flashes, and stripping the forests bare!  Wow!  It reminded me of the Getty and Townend lines: 
All creation holds together by the power of your voice:
Let the skies declare your glory, let the land and seas rejoice!

(
from You're the Word of God the Father) 
As we consider God's authoritative "voice" in creation, our hearts cannot but cry out in worship, "Glory!" (v1-2, 9)


Now, as preachers and believers together, we believe that God speaks through his Word to change people's lives, so that his glory is both proclaimed by lip and demonstrated by a transformed God-centred life.  But do we believe, or indeed do we pray that the power of God's voice, his Word, his Gospel of the glory of the Cross of Christ, will be seen to "demolish strongholds and arguments and pretensions [of hearts and minds] that set themselves up against knowing God"?  Do we pray and preach believing that as Christ is exalted in his people he can "take captive every thought to make them obedient to himself" and his grace'?  Do I pray and preach that the Gospel I proclaim and am supposed to make visible in my life would, in God's renewing and reviving purposes, impact others' lives "with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction", and all to his glory?  In fact, am I prepared to truly listen to this powerful voice and respond as a rejoicing, believing repenter should?
Let Spurgeon encourage us to listen to the wonder of the power of the Gospel, and as we preach this Gospel to ourselves, may God use us to share it with others:

Oh, the power, the melting, conquering, transforming power of the dear Cross of Christ. My brothers, we have but to constantly tell ourselves the matchless story, and we may expect to see the most remarkable results. We need not despair of our hearts now that Christ has died for this sinner. 
With such a hammer as the doctrine of the Cross, this most flinty heart will be broken and such a fire as the sweet love of Christ will melt this most mighty iceberg. I need never to despair of my inability or my bad habits if I can but find occasion to bring the doctrine of Christ crucified into contact with my nature. It will yet change me and Christ will be my King.

No comments: